Monday, July 1, 2013

Interior Styling | Indoor Plants

When it comes to interiors I'll happily take a monochrome palette, wood accents and touches of green. When the green comes from bringing a bit of nature indoors, even better. As the trend for indoor plants (which I touched on here) continues to grow, I'm really keen to embrace it in our new home but I have a long way to go! I finally purchased the Fiddle Leaf Fig I've been eyeing up for ages, but we only have a couple of other plants - one is thriving, the other is a little sad. Both are also in desperate need of re-potting. To be honest, looking after plants has never been my forte, but I figure if I can raise two small boys then I must be able to care for a few house plants, right?!


Back to the Fiddle Leaf (Ficus Lyrata) for a moment. You've no doubt seen this very hip plant buzzing around the web lately. If not, take a look at this terrific post by the lovely Talia of MintSix Boutique Homewares & Styling, one of my newest sponsors. A great roundup of The Fabulous Fiddle Leaf Fig, it's so cool, you'll be rushing out to buy one in no time! 

Luckily I found it easier to come by than Talia who hails from the South Island, happily settling for this Ficus Bambino (the smaller) version, from my local garden centre Palmers Gardenworld Remuera. While there I got chatting to the director Delma Harrison, who with over 35 years experience is able to help you with your plants and interiors, stocking not only a huge selection of plants but also beautiful and unique homewares from around the world. By the time I left, I had several new things on my wishlist including this plant, new pots and even a gorgeous knitted pouffe! Delma also owns the award-winning Cafe Greenfingers onsite, which we visit often as they have a play area for the kids! They also do great coffee, so make sure you stop by. 


One large plant in the corner of a room can make a striking statement...


...while smaller plants dotted around the home, on mantle pieces, shelves and in the bathroom add lovely touches of green and texture...




I also love seeing smaller plants grouped together, especially with some succulents and cacti in the mix... 


Or you could go all out with an indoor garden, including wall-mounted and ceiling-hung plants....



This bathroom is pretty fabulous... 


1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Before I go, you may have noticed I've now joined Instagram as a way to share snaps I take here and there for the blog and build. Basically a peek behind the scenes of The Design Chaser, follow along here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment